A number of folks I know and love are chasing hard after God these days.
I think the times are demanding it. The draining nature of the pace of life combined with the spiritual battles that seem to be hitting everyone are creating in us a deeper need and hunger for more of God. Just this week a dear friend said to me, "I just need more of God." I sure need more of God. I bet you do, too.
How do we find "more of God"? Where do we look?
Folks seem to be looking to the latest cool conference, the new worship CD, the prophetic teacher, churches and experiences promising "encounters." Some of it delivers. But it doesn't seem to last. So you've got to find the next new conference, the next breakthrough worship CD, the next "encounter."
I don't think love works like that. I don't think God plays hide and seek, bait and switch, running from this city to that speaker to this next promise of an encounter. That doesn't sound like love to me.
How do we find fullness in you, Father???
I re-read Ephesians 3 this week, which climaxes in this promise: "that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." What??!! That's it—that's it! How do we find that?
For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God (vs 14-19).
There it is—that we might be filled to all the fullness of God! That's what we yearn for, what we are chasing, what we so desperately need! Wouldn't it be incredible to be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God???!!!! And God is showing us the way to that fullness. Pay careful attention to the progression Paul walks us through, prays us through:
1. That God our Father would strengthen us with power through his Spirit in our inmost being. That's Step 1. I think that alone would change my life. But it is only the beginning of this incredible progression. Having that, we are able to move to Step 2...
2. That Jesus might really fill and dwell in our hearts. Wonderful. Yes! If our hearts were really filled with the presence of Jesus??! From there we can move into Step 3...
3. That we might be rooted and grounded in love. Wouldn't that be incredible? Who do you even know that is rooted and grounded in love? It is the widespread weariness and unsettledness that is causing us to need more of God. We can be rooted and grounded in love?! Step 4 builds on this...
4. That we might have power to grasp the full height, depth, length, and breadth of Jesus's love. Oh yes, Father—we need this! I know it would transform our lives. But there's more...
5. Paul prays that we would KNOW this love (experience it—deep, personal "knowing"). And from this place we get to the goal, Step 6...
6. That we might be filled to all the fullness of God!
Oh, friends—there is a treasure here for us. There is a rescue here for us. A path is laid out for us. I think great conferences, CDs, and "encounters" are all good and have their place. But the truth is, they don't last, and honestly, much of them don't really deliver on the promises being made. Here is a far deeper, truer, and sure-er path—one given to us by God himself. He wants us to find fullness in him.
Try this—pray through this progression for yourself. Chase this. Stay in this for awhile. You don't even have to leave your house. I bet the fruit will be wonderful, just what we are looking for. There is a way to fullness in God, but it's different than what most people are chasing.
Yes, yes, yes to more of God! And here is the path he has given to find it. I think this is going to be revolutionary, and an incredible relief.